Tuesday, July 10, 2012

June 28: Steam Room


I almost enter the sauna, but see two attractive men talking and laughing inside. I go to the steam room. 
About 10 people rotate in and out of the steam room.
Two Mexican women and a man sit together talking. Although the no talking rule is being broken, I’m not annoyed. I only understand a little Spanish, and none at all if I unfocus my mind. Blessedly, I’m not privy to whatever minutia is being discussed. It’s smooth jazz.
A blonde girl enters wearing a red t-shirt and shorts. Everyone was evenly spaced apart before she entered.
The area between me and the Mexican man is the best seat choice.
If the blonde sits, I’ll have to adjust to a slightly smaller personal space. I’m unhappy at the prospect. The blonde stands confused and indecisive for a minute. She leaves never having sat down. Good. The steam room is no place for the meek. 
The man next to me, about 28, asks me if I’ve just got done taking the yoga class. I say that I just got done teaching the yoga class. He says that must be why I look familiar and that the class was great and “kicked his ass.” 
He’s breaking the no talking rule, but it’s okay because he’s pretty handsome and nice and he’s complimenting me. It’s okay to talk if it’s to compliment me. We chat about yoga. I break the no talking rule, but it’s down to us and the talking Mexicans and it’s really happy. The Mexican woman and I smile at each other. I tell the boy how to better get his toes around his calf in garudasana. 
I get up to refill my water bottle. While I’m standing, another man enters and sits in my seat. I move across the room which I think is funny because I know the 28-year-old wants to keep talking to me and now he can’t. He leaves. I sit quietly for several more minutes.
I leave. He is still outside. We shake hands. He tells me his name is Ben and that he’ll maybe be at my class next week. 
Time: 16 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment